[AusNOG] Gosford City Council and NBN RSP.

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu May 29 07:20:14 EST 2014

On 28 May 2014, at 16:13, Mark Delany <g2x at juliet.emu.st> wrote:

> On 28May14, Beeson, Ayden allegedly wrote:
>> Hey Mark,
>>
>> In its current form the MTM based NBN will not include separate RSP ports at all.
>
> Ahh crap. I figured that might be the case but I was hoping against
> hope that some of the other benefits that flowed from the NBN -
> besides the fibre plant part - would have survived.

Nothing you described is unachievable at the software layer.

We're moving towards (or in) a world in which every service is delivered over the internet.  There's no need for a complicated NTU with multiple UNI ports, there's only a need for internet access.

Your hypothetical medical monitoring box could have an embedded VPN client which establishes a secure session back to base from its DHCP'ed IP address: Plug it into your home switch and off you go, no end-user configuration required.  Practically speaking, it's the same outcome you'd have if it was connected to a dedicated UNI.

Smart edge, dumb core.

- mark