[AusNOG] Gosford City Council and NBN RSP.

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Wed May 28 15:54:07 EST 2014

> For those who haven't seen it yet, there's an article about Gosford City
> Council being a carrier, and also a NBN RSP which was published yesterday.

It's at a slight tangent, but I've always though that the NBN presents
many different opportunities for various government entities like
Gosford to provide their services in new and interesting ways.

One of the more intriguing ideas that I've heard of is supplying a
dedicated device which plugs into one of the spare RSP ports. The
device might provide health monitoring and be a dedicate access device
for government services. One imagines a tablet-like device that
presents as dedicated video-chat that links to the occupant's doctor
or the council help line or whatever.

Using a dedicated RSP port on the NBN modem is a pretty easy way of
provisioning such a service without all the complexity and hassle of
having to work with the household's own RSP service. Particularly if
such a device is targeted at those who are otherwise isolated, may
need social welfare and are perhaps not technical very savvy or
wealthy enough to afford an Internet service.

Anyway, it got me thinking about the "new" NBN and the multi-tech mix.

Does anyone know whether, in the new NBN world, the notion of having
multiple RSP ports with independent service providers still applies?
Or is that concept out the window if you are "NBN" connection is
provisioned via xDSL or HFC?

Mark.