[AusNOG] Netflix coming to Australia

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Mon May 26 19:03:33 EST 2014

On 26 May 2014, at 15:14, Tim Groeneveld <tim at timg.ws> wrote:
> Schedule 9 is all about Unauthorised access to encoded broadcasts.
>
> Unblock-US could be defined as a "unauthorised decoder", in which case, you could be thrown into the slammer even for using Netflix using Unblock-US.

That would be true if (a) you could be thrown into the slammer for small-scale copyright infringement, (b) Netflix was providing "broadcasts", and was "licensed under the Broadcasting Services Act 1992 to provide a broadcasting service," and (c) schedule 135ASI(d)(ii) didn't specifically exempt personal use.

None of those conditions evaluate to true, so I think we can file "you could be thrown into the slammer even for using Netflix using Unblock-US" into the "making shit up" bin.

  - mark