[AusNOG] Netflix coming to Australia

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Mon May 26 15:15:34 EST 2014

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Geordie Guy <elomis at gmail.com> wrote:

> The majority of Australians who want Netflix content are either torrenting
> it or have Netflix accounts from the US service.

Do you have a reference for that, or is it just your own opinion?

I live in the US, and the majority of the demographic that I see as NetFlix
subscribers are people that have no idea what a VPN or a Torrent is.  Even
with torrents, the simplicity of NetFlix far overrides torrents, so the
fact that someone knows how to use torrent doesn't mean that they are a
potential NetFlix subscriber.

Even if there are "between 50,000 and 200,000 Australian subscribers" (A
number I don't believe - at least at the top end), that's still less than
an order of magnitude less (as a percentage of population) than their US
subscribers - hardly a "Majority".

  Scott