[AusNOG] Netflix coming to Australia

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Mon May 26 09:55:11 EST 2014

On 26 May 2014 09:42, Skeeve Stevens
<skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com>wrote:

> I agree... although if you can get Foxtel via Cable, then you can get
> BigPond at the moment, then NBNCo later.

I've avoided getting Telstra cable because of the lack of FetchTV (the
T-Box doesn't do it for me).  I was on Optus Cable for years, but left for
a number of reasons that mean I'll never go back to them as a provider.

> If you are getting it via Satellite then I'd also agree with you.
>
> Thing is... content is king, but quality content is an even bigger king,
> and I think with the quality that is coming, people will choose services
> that enable that content.

Absolutely.

> Btw... This discussion wasn't really about those with low-speeds, that is
> a different discussion.

I am fine streaming movies and TV on an ~10Mbps ADSL connection.  I was
hoping that NBN FTTP would be here (my area was "build to commence within
12 months) less than a year before the last federal election (meaning
contracts had been signed), but since the election, my area has magically
lost all NBN fibre, and the best hope for me now is a wholesaled HFC
service in the short to medium term.