[AusNOG] Netflix coming to Australia

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Mon May 26 09:20:58 EST 2014

aaaaand, hot on the tail of this discussion.

>From Todays Commsday:

=================================

*Fetch TV to launch retail IPTV service (EXCLUSIVE)*

Wholesale IPTV and content provider Fetch TV is preparing to make its first
foray into the retail market with a new service that will be available to
broadband subscribers of non-partner ISPs, CommsDay can reveal. The service
will be launched in the next 90 days and will be sold through a range of
retail outlets.

Up until now Fetch TV has been available only as a wholesale service and is
sold largely through Optus and the iiNet group of ISPs, including

Internode, TransACT and Adam Internet. However, Fetch TV CEO Scott Lorson
told CommsDay half of the inquiries the company gets for the service are
from broadband providers other than iiNet or Optus.

He also stressed that the decision to provide its own retail platform was
not influenced by recent launches such as Foxtel's Presto or speculation
that NetFlix might enter the Australian market.

“Our service has been in development for many months and has been in our
plans for a long time,” Lorson said. “We do not see either of those
services as competitors. In fact, we see NetFlix as a complementary service
and one that we are happy to integrate.”

Specifics of the service such as retail partners, pricing and potential
promotions are not being re-leased yet, but the service is expected to be
eventually sold through a number of major retail outlets.

CommsDay can also reveal that the retail billing platform for the new
service will be provided by Melbourne-based Inomial. Inomial will be
providing managed services including ordering, VoD, billing and invoicing
to Fetch TV, while Fetch TV will use Inomial’s API to provide self-service
from its existing portal.

Inomial MD Mark Lillywhite said the company had developed a distributed API
which integrates with the Fetch TV systems and content network for the
project.

“We have been working in and around the TV space for many years, including
satellite TV, DOCSIS and, overseas IPTV,” said Lillywhite. “So it’s really
exciting to see our work come to fruition with Fetch TV.”

Fetch TV will continue to push its wholesale platform to ISP partners and
is expecting to announce additional service providers in the next 90 days
as well.

According to Lorson, recent promotions from iiNet and Optus have boosted
takeup of the service significantly, with numbers expected to exceed
130,000 sometime this month. Fetch TV is the main platform rival to
Telstra's T-Box service, which has more than 600,000 subs through Telstra's
broadband bundling packages.

The launch comes at a time of heightened activity in the broadband content
space, with new or proposed services coming from the likes of Presto,
Quickflix, Hoyts, StreamCo, Hulu, Amazon and

Crackle. However, Lorson said the newcomers are apps and destination sites
rather than platforms in their own right.

“We have already integrated the free-to-air catch up services,YouTube – and
see these services in the same light,” he said, adding that FetchTV would
be happy to integrate NetFlix should it ever decide to launch in Australia.

Meanwhile, Samsung is also planning to launch its own video on demand
application, with Singapore and the Philippines to be the first markets for
the company. Tentatively called “Project Glued”, the service will launch in
the third quarter of this year via Samsung's Media Solutions Centre in
Southeast Asia and will provide “specially curated” television content to
its mobile and tablet users.

Geoff Long

I am not sure why they don't consider Netflix as a competitor... I guess it
is all a matter of perspective.

PS.. Congrats to Inomial.

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering