[AusNOG] Netflix coming to Australia

Ben Buxton bb.ausnog at bb.cactii.net
Sun May 25 19:11:28 EST 2014

On 25 May 2014 17:27, Skeeve Stevens
<skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com>wrote:

> So... to the issue which will have an impact on most ISPs... I'd be
> interested on what the list thinks will happen to the average usage per
> user, contention, backhaul, transit and peering (which I assume they will
> join).

It should have minimal impact to any ISP run properly.

As I recall, the entire Netflix US catalogue fits in a 4U box, so it would
be sensible for them to offer a cache to ISPs so that their connectivity is
minimally affected. ISPs should consider taking up this (if they offer it
at all - oh hang on, they do <https://www.netflix.com/openconnect>) and may
even choose to locate multiple boxes in major POPs.

Otherwise, caps and usage charges should take care of the rest if your
pricing is sustainable and you've not ridiculously oversubscribed your
access backhaul.

BB