[AusNOG] Netflix coming to Australia

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Sun May 25 17:53:00 EST 2014

On 25 May 2014, at 17:32, Joseph Goldman <joe at apcs.com.au> wrote:

> Given Netflix history in the US they will likely be on most major peering, which is great for ISPs, the issue of back haul to your own POP is likely going to be the biggest part affected for mostly smaller ISPs.

Will be interested to see how they fare in a market with usage caps on fixed broadband.

I suspect they'll drive up ISP revenues just a bit, as people on "smaller" plans upgrade them to accommodate streaming. Of course, the responsibility will be on industry to use said revenues to fund the upgrades that'll be needed to carry the traffic.

Fun times ahead.

  - mark