[AusNOG] network security Question

Joshua D'Alton joshua at railgun.com.au
Tue May 20 13:42:22 EST 2014

You'll get a hundred different answers, and it'll be how 'paranoid' the
provider is and what operational requirements they have.

A 'normal' network probably doesn't need to worry about blocking, perhaps
rate limiting but likely it'd be a DDoS anyway not abuse..

Since port scanning doesn't really require ICMP any more anyway blocking
for that reason is a bit pointless. Someone who cannot troubleshoot without
ICMP might need to learn about other methods (ftp, ssh, ntp, smtp ports
often open), but it depends on the type of people you expect to have
dealings with your network.

</From the perspective of a small hosting provider, small business and
end-user troubleshooting to small to large carriers/ISPs>