[AusNOG] Virtualization Technology

Chris Ricks chris.ricks at securepay.com.au
Tue May 20 12:12:02 EST 2014

VMWare teaming/bonding (depending on which OS world you tend to live in)
definitely does do active-active.

In fact, VMWare always does active-active even if there's no actual link
aggregation going on. VMWare's bog-standard vSwitch uses split horizon
routing by default, with traffic routed out on active links based on
specified criteria.

LACP isn't supported without either the Nexus 1000v vSwitch or the ESXi
5.5 Distributed vSwitch, but static link aggregation works all the way
back to ESXi 3.5 without an issue.