[AusNOG] NBN CO told to pretty itself up for bankers by 2017

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Wed May 14 11:42:53 EST 2014

Probably not, I think it means the nbn will basically be sunk.
it'll be 2016 before they could get FTTN really going at speed assuming
there are no issues.
That gives them 1 year of volume rollout before they will need to start
the process of raising private debt, I don't think they will be getting
very good terms particularly given the time-scale before they will need
more funding to replace the FTTN network. Particularly if they let TPG
roll their FTTB it'll pave the way for telstra and optus to do the same
and they are going to have fibre within 1km of pretty much everywhere
that matters.

Rolling ftth doesn't seem to be progressing at all well. Verison did it
in the USA to the same number of premisis in a shorter time and for less
cost so it seems to be physically possible.
If they focused on getting a core network of profitable FTTH in place
they could perhaps leverage that asset to raise funds to roll it out
further, or possibly just self fund a slower rollout into less
profitable areas, but that won't happen if its sold off first.