[AusNOG] Interesting

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed May 14 09:32:53 EST 2014

In message <CAA05nen+P1zjqo5NpSdX1tBx6fsxrdLfei5JKVXz7QigtJDS2A at mail.gmail.com>
, Ben Buxton writes:
> On 14 May 2014 05:22, Lindsay Hill <lindsay.k.hill at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "Well at the very least if there was even a remote chance of a Amazon /
> > Azure / GoogleCompute region opening up in NZ they just blew that chance
> > clear of the water."
> >
> > Why, given that this law is more targeting ISPs (i.e. not cloud
> > providers), and those firms comply with similar interception/tapping
> > regimes in other countries they operate in?
> >

> I read through it, this regulation is nuts. It may not be long before they
> decide that compute providers
> also fall into this category.
>
> Most LI requirements only specify the capability, and how you provide that
> capability is up to the SP (granted, many have rolled out identical
> implementations). This goes way beyond and actually requires you to get
> governmental approval on most aspects of your network implementation.
>
> - Want to deploy a new linecard? Need government approval for that.
>
> - Want to move your TAC/Radius servers? Ask the government first.
>
> - Selling a new product or plan? Not til the government ok's it.
>
> - Want to roll out a new vendor? Need government approval.
>
> - NOC want to roll out a new tool they wrote to improve monitoring? Need to
> submit for government approval first.
>
> - Netflow collector changes? Hell no, ask government first.
>
> - Don't dare "apt-get install" anything on your NOC workstations without
> first applying to the government.
>
> If you're a global provider with NZ presence, this seems to affect your ops
> teams in europe/usa/aus/etc.
>
> This probably doesn't matter for most incumbent local telco's as they're
> used to loads of red tape, but
> a good agile provider can go from inception to deployment of many of these
> aspects within a week - this
> requires significant documentation and a 20 day turnaround.
>
> [* Personal opinion, nothing to do with my employer]
>
> BB

So the next time something breaks, ring the minister and don't fix
it until you get approval.  Keep doing this.  Add a recorded message
to you help lines saying "We regret that the service is down.  The
Government require us to submit all change requests to them and we
cannot fix the problem until the change request is approved.  If
you do not like this policy please contact the minister for <portfolio>
<name of minister>,  his/her office phone number is <office-number>".

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org