[AusNOG] Average Usage Per Service

Skeeve Stevens skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com
Mon May 12 13:08:51 EST 2014

Yes, I am looking for a figure that providers might use in planning
capacity.  In a network where congestion isn't an issue is what I am
looking for.

Transit scaling is not actually what I am looking for here, but mainly
scaling of throughput capability of the network routers/LNS.

Re Transit/Backhaul you need to start with a certain minimum regardless of
contention ratio... you can't have 10 x 100mb users (1Gb) at 50:1
(residential average) and get away with 20mb.  In that scenario you'd need
a baseline of 80-150mb, realising that a couple of users could smash the
contended parts of your network.  It also depends on the types of services
such as Private networks which will affect backhaul (AGVC) but not transit.

Transit costs are actually cheaper than most AGVC pricing out there at the
moment but overall they are easy to upgrade.

The core infrastructure isn't as easy to upgrade without major surgery, and
I am trying to put together some metrics as a guideline for micro-isp's and
the equipment they can start with and when they will need to scale out.
 This isn't like the old days where you can throw a Cisco 7200 G1 and have
hundreds or thousands of services... now with NBN speeds the world is a
very different place... but small providers can't jump in with kit designed
to do 5-20Gb of throughput, often due to costs and licensing.

So I am wondering based on some mix of speeds, how far will a Cisco 7201
(1GbTP) get you these days, or a Cisco 1002-F (2.5GbTP) to bootstrap the
ISP into viability.

...Skeeve

linkedin.com/in/skeeve

twitter.com/theispguy ; blog: www.theispguy.com

The Experts Who The Experts Call
Juniper - Cisco - Cloud - Consulting - IPv4 Brokering