[AusNOG] Oddity

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Fri May 9 21:11:19 EST 2014

> About the only explanation I can think of is that somehow the external
> IP address of the Netcomm is involved in routing traffic to the client.
> I can't imagine how, though. I just can't believe that the Netcomm IS
> the Internet connection - with no Ethernet connected, no PPP light
> showing and (obviously) no Ethernet activity.

I was recently talking to a friend who was doing some troubleshooting and
had similarly bizzare results, but for an entirely different reason.

The IP address we were seeing wasn't his (internet-connected via 3G)
device, it was the office IP address (he wasn't in the office, nobody
was).

He'd forgotten that he had a VPN set up to the office. In your scenario,
even with nothing connected to the netcomm, if it were acting as a VPN
endpoint, and using its WAN as the gateway, it could perhaps explain your
observed behavior? Turn off the netcomm, lose his "internet connectivity",
even with nothing more than power and phone connected?

R.