[AusNOG] SRX650 J-flow sampling rate

Ben Dale bdale at comlinx.com.au
Fri May 9 12:04:53 EST 2014

Hi Mark,

On 8 May 2014, at 7:39 pm, Mark Anthony Delfin <mark at delfin.me<mailto:mark at delfin.me>> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have Juniper SRX650 cluster which I want to send Flow data. Average traffic on internet-facing interface is 50 mbps but peaks at 250mbps.  Average CPU utilization is 28% (15% user + 13% Kernel).  What will you guys recommend for the sampling rate?

Thank you.

Mark

This document is worth a read:

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/app-notes/3500204-en.pdf

It only has figures for an SRX240, but at 64 and 1500 KB packet sizes (worst and best performance respectively).

If you add a scaling factor of 4x as per almost every other measurement on the data sheet between the 240 and the 650, you probably have a good place to start for the *maximum* throughput at the various sampling ratios.

There is no need for any extra hardware on the branch platforms for J-FLow, as this is all handled in software on the RE.

Cheers,

Ben