[AusNOG] SRX650 J-flow sampling rate

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Thu May 8 20:46:37 EST 2014

On May 8, 2014, at 5:22 PM, Mark Anthony Delfin <mark at delfin.me> wrote:

> 4x GE Base PIC and 16x GE gPIM

My understanding is that in order to get NetFlow v9, and to get a lower sampling ratio, you need a services PIC (I'm not a Juniper person, clue welcome!).

NetFlow v9 is necessary for IPv6 and for MPLS support - don't know if those apply in your environment.

> ManageEngine Netflow (currently on trial version)

What's the flows-per-second rating of the ManageEngine box?

> None

You should have OOB connectivity for lots of reasons, including flow telemetry export.  Performing management tasks and exporting flow telemetry inline in your production network runs the risk of losing the ability to control and to observe your network during a network partition event, network congestion event (DDoS, etc.), and so forth.

> I plan to enable it  on one interface average 50 mbps peaking at 200 mbps

Why only one interface?  You want to get both inbound and outbound traffic, yes?

	  Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

		       -- John Milton