[AusNOG] IOS router selection

Colin Stubbs colin.stubbs at equatetechnologies.com.au
Mon May 5 16:52:27 EST 2014

There's a number of ways to test L1/L2, it's less about wanting to check
that a route target is at the other end, as it is about detecting
misconfigurations, spanning tree problems or cable/connection problems such
as uni-directional link.
 - The many variations of Spanning Tree Protocol
 - Uni-Directional Link Detection
 - LACP/PAgP
 - Bi-directional Forwarding Detection

Probably others that I don't know about.

CDP (and LLDP) are (insecure and unreliable) informational protocols only.
They don't tell you anything more than what *might be* at the other end of
the link and they can't do anything more than that unless you're in user
land with PoE handsets.

The original poster is talking static L3 routes on Cisco equipment. The
resulting status of object tracking from IP SLA tests against the gateway
address is the best way of handling the problem.

That all said: The **EXACT** issue that has been posed is 50% of the reason
dynamic routing was first created.

-Colin