[AusNOG] Telstra 4G Static IP's

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Thu May 1 21:21:48 EST 2014

On Thu, 01 May 2014 20:51:08 +1000, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org>
wrote:

> On 1 May 2014, at 7:10 pm, Michael Wheeler <michael at michael-wheeler.org>
> wrote:
>
>> By memory it was because of roaming issues if you move from 4g to 3g
>> suddenly your ipv6 goes missing and all your connections drop.
>>

> That happens on mobile all the time anyway; hard to see how it's any
> worse than IPv4.

I use OpenVPN on my Android mobile and whenever the IP address on the
phone changes (usually when going from wifi around the office/house
to/from cellular) it just automatically reconnects and keeps working as if
nothing happened (it's seamless to me). I don't have IPv6 access to test
it with, but it supports IPv6 and so I assume it would transition
seamlessly between those as well.

I'm sure there are plenty of other applications that handle it just the
same. I think it would have to be a fairly poorly designed application
that didn't handle "roaming" and changes of IP address on a mobile device
gracefully. The whole point is that these devices roam and transition
between different network types fairly regularly.

On a mostly unrelated topic I looked at my mobile OpenVPN connection the
other day on the headend firewall and noticed that the IP address I was
coming in from (ie. CGNAT IP from my phone) was 1.133.x.x which is the
first time I've seen Telstra using addresses from the 1/8 allocation
(they've been allocated both a /13 & /11 from 1/8).

regards,
Tony.