[AusNOG] Telstra 4G Static IP's

Stuart Low stuart.low at me.com
Thu May 1 19:26:44 EST 2014

+1

At least in 3G deployments the GGSN component would gobble the PPP session and do a 1:1 PPP setup down the provider L2TP (ie. not a real L2TP multi hop) then bridge by passing seemingly broken IPv4 gateway details to the CPE side and presumably packet sniff it's way to the other tunnel.

The justification at the time was because of cell breathing needing to be sustainable and negotiated on SGSN side. The side affect was that the GGSN had to get involved in IP termination and therefore IPv6 was this new fangled thing radio guys (on SGSN/RNC side) wouldn't trust ultimately leading to network side deciding in a lot of cases 'ok 10/8 it is!'

Maybe things have changed and it's vendor specific (this was Nokia comms equipment) buuuttt I doubt it since radio guys were specing 3G networks with some crazy low per user kbit requirement (presumably it's only barely more than 100kbit now).

Also fwiw I think Telstra's private networking default may actually be borne out of bill shock avoidance due to unscrupulous traffic spamming public net blocks and being classed as 'download' to the phone/dongle/CPE.

Just my 2c,

Stu