[AusNOG] Older Juniper J series routers - time bomb

Matt Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Fri Mar 28 12:45:08 EST 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 09:46:08AM +1100, Beeson, Ayden wrote:
> It's a crappy situation to be in but I can understand how it'd come about.

Sure, I can empathise with the situation, but that doesn't mean it isn't
absolutely abhorrent for it to have been done.  I can empathise with the
mistakes that would cause a car company to ship a car with an exploding fuel
tank, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be legally obligated to fix the
problem.

> Juniper should release a one-off update even though they are EOL, it'd be
> good press to do so and very bad press not to....

It'll be an awfully good argument in favour of guaranteed open hardware
platforms if they don't fix it in some way.  EOL means "if it wears out,
you're shit outta luck", it doesn't mean "we can decide to kill it and
you're shit outta luck".

- Matt