[AusNOG] fortimail Re: MMF fiber OM3 cabling versus OM1 patch leads

Christopher Mclean cjm at ausoptic.com
Fri Mar 28 11:35:24 EST 2014

Mismatched leads will give you reflections and losses. OM1 to OM3 will work and generally do not cause too many problems. I would be looking to use all OM3 from this point (i'm sure that would have been your plan anyway) as you need to replace them but also look at those critical connections and maybe work through a plan to replace those first. The longer lengths will be the most effected by losses where a little dirt on the fibre will bring it down. Reflections if they are big enough can damage optics.

Best regards,
Chris McLean
Senior Sales Engineer
Ausoptic International