[AusNOG] Going beyond ADSL in a non-NBN world

Guy Ellis guy at traverse.com.au
Mon Mar 24 22:42:32 EST 2014

Hi Paul,

I think the key to your problem is...
"At the moment most of our sites use a standard consumer-grade ADSL
modem in bridging mode"
That would imply that you don't have access to any DSL stats from the modem?

Unless you can obtain the RS Error counters from the DSL modem, you will
remain in the dark.

You simply can't accurately diagnose DSL problems at the IP layer.
That's a bit like using a speedo to diagnose a faulty spark plug.

Cheers,
  - Guy.

Guy Ellis
guy at traverse.com.au