[AusNOG] Process for installing new kit in existing racks in .au data centres?

Jay Mitchell jay at miscreant.org
Mon Mar 24 22:01:45 EST 2014

Thanks everyone for the on and off list replies. It's good to know this
insanity isn't common practice in the industry.

Unfortunately for me quite a few of the responses matched my own personal
suspicions as to what the issue is. Hopefully hear it from the horses mouth
tomorrow with any luck.

Just to clarify, getting access to the racks 24/7 is not an issue, we can
enter unescorted for maintenance, replacement of failed hardware etc. we
just can't install new kit till it's approved, which takes far too long.

Shame it's such a huge undertaking to relocate 25+ racks to another
location...

Again, thanks for everyone's input, apologies to those I didn't respond to
directly, the number of responses was far higher than I'd anticipated!

Kind regards,

Jay