[AusNOG] Process for installing new kit in existing racks in .au data centres?

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 16:37:47 EST 2014

I would add that one provider we deal with (in multiple locations around
AU) requires that a form is submitted for gear. Once approved, gear is
staged via the loading bay where it is powered on to ensure it doesn't
trip breakers or blow up, then you're free to put it in your rack.

This is only for powered gear, you can add/replace anything you want
(router cards, HDD, CPU, whole blades, etc) to existing chassis in the
rack, as long as the new device doesn't have it's own separate power
supply.

The process is painless, approval is always granted, the DC is staffed
24/7 so that someone is always available to test EQ on the way in. The
only time I've had gear knocked back was when the power usage in the rack
was at it's max and I submitted a form to add new gear. The response was
that the rack was "full" (from a power usage perspective) and I should
either upgrade power to the rack first (then resubmit EQ movement form) or
choose a different rack to locate that item.

regards,
Tony.