[AusNOG] WPA2 Wireless Security Crackable With "Relative Ease"

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Sun Mar 23 22:52:43 EST 2014

Could someone explain to me what is new here?
> In their experiment, they carried out a brute force attack on the password protecting the WPA2 network and managed to succeed. According to their findings, the time needed to break into a system increases the longer the password used.

The requirement for PSK keys to be long and random to resist brute forcing is well known.
> The weakest point, the researchers believe, is the de-authentication step involved in the wireless setup.
>
> As part of their security protocols, routers using WPA2 must reconnect and re-authenticate devices periodically and share a new key each time. The team points out that the de-authentication step basically leaves a backdoor unlocked albeit for a limited period. This period, however, could be long enough for a fast-wireless scanner and a determined intruder.

The statement is "researchers believe" not "researchers have proven" or "researchers have demonstrated".

The Abstract is in the modern style, selling the paper rather than explaining what the paper adds to the field.

-glen