[AusNOG] MelbourneIT stores domain passwords in cleartext - iTnews.com.au

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Thu Mar 20 16:54:14 EST 2014

There is also a difference between storing in clear text and retrieving
back to clear text.

A database exposure may not give a hacker any useful data, and a more
in-depth knowledge of how the particular registrars and/or auDA's
systems are run, along with hacking/retrieval of multiple assets may be
needed to successfully compromise customer passwords.

I think the news article in question is more referencing that Melbourne
IT store the password in cleartext in the DB, so only DB data exposure
would be required to compromise customers domains.