[AusNOG] MelbourneIT stores domain passwords in cleartext - iTnews.com.au

Seamus Ryan s.ryan at uber.com.au
Thu Mar 20 16:45:53 EST 2014

Yup

http://www.ausregistry.com.au/tools/recover-password

Sends the password to the registrant, via email, in plain text. MelbourneIT (or any registrar for that matter) could do all the hashing or encrypting of the domain password they want, you would still be able to use that Ausregistry page to obtain the password in plain text. Granted there have been recent improvements to .au domain security (such as .auLOCKDOWN) to protect against unauthorised domain modifications, that isn't what we are talking about here.

It's nothing new.

-          Seamus