[AusNOG] RouterBoard

Andrew Cox andrew.cox at bigair.net.au
Tue Mar 11 07:05:14 EST 2014

Having been a user, forum poster, consultant and blogger of RouterOS
related networking kit and updates for nearly 8 years now, I can confirm.

No, not everything that was expected made it into the v6 branch. Yes there
are still a number of services (even btest itself) that will run on a
single core. Yes there are still some bugs in areas that a border or core
router would require and at high traffic volumes I could not recommend
deploying a single unit and expecting everything to just work. I would even
agree entirely that the support process sometimes seems lackluster.

But. And I say this having gone through the trials of every major release,
the same as I know many others who have run into similar problems with the
big name brands as new major releases come along. But.. the platform the
CCR's are built on is solid. The hardware is built to perform a lot better
than it can at present and each new release improves upon this, even
looking at the differences between performance on older hardware (RB1100)
running v5 vs v6 shows just how far MikroTik have come and how far they can
still go. The TILERA chip is an amazing piece of tech being used in DPI
engines and the like already, and its only a matter of time before the same
utilisation will be realised on the CCR's.

Unfortunately as a private company MikroTik can an do run on their own
schedules and development priorities for their own reasons and until such
time as someone can convince them otherwise or buy them up I feel they're
going to use their rather unique position to continue surprising and
frustrating us in equal measure.

Would I use them? Yes, and I do myself all over the place.
Would I recommend them? Yes, but you MUST above all else do your due
diligence and measure what cost the maintenance and support is to you
versus the big boys and their support and maintenance agreements.

I hope this encourages some of those who've not tried MikroTik to at least
give it the time of day and see how it ticks, but also that it would
persuade others to leave it be for now and stick with what they know and
what works. RouterOS is a big world to jump into and there's so much that
they can do easily that you can't find elsewhere, but it can be a nightmare
if you aren't prepared to do the hard yards testing twice and deploying
once.

-Andrew Cox