[AusNOG] Cable length limits?

John Lindsay johnslindsay at mac.com
Wed Mar 5 09:35:17 EST 2014

The length limits are to ensure a collision is detected on a half duplex network if two distant nodes send the smallest allowed packet at exactly the same time.

When you have a full duplex switched network (no coax, repeaters or hubs) the lengths are no longer critical. Then it's down to the electrical characteristics of the cable and getting the bits from TX to RX reliably.

John Lindsay