[AusNOG] Cable length limits?

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 22:15:10 EST 2014

On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 20:52:57 +1000, Paul Gear <ausnog at libertysys.com.au>
wrote:

> I'm working on a project involving a new facility being built in
> Townsville.  A consultant on the project mentioned to me today that he
> had heard some discussions which suggested that the maximum distance of
> 90m on a Cat5e/Cat6 run applies to environments where the ambient
> temperature is around 20 degrees, and that higher temperatures can
> actually require lower length limits.

He would be correct.

> Can anyone confirm or deny, and/or point to some relevant references?

TIA/EIA STANDARD TIA/EIA-568-B.2-1
Commercial Building Telecommunications Cabling Standard

http://www.net100ltd.us/Catalogs/TIA_EIA_Nov2008/tia-eia/TIA-EIA-568-B.2-1.pdf

(Annex G - p76)

> Google seems to have some relevant hits, but discerning the wheat from
> the chaff is tricky - many of the first few hits for the searches I did
> were from companies trying to sell higher grade cabling.

A quick google found me this doco:

http://www.belden.com/docs/upload/Temperature.pdf

Yes it's from a cabling company, but it references the relevant standard
which does indeed say that you should "de-rate" the maximum cable length
based on temperature.

The suggestion from the cabling manufacturers to use a higher grade
cabling (with lower loss) is sound. Of course you could always just play
it safe and base your cabling on shorter distances.

regards,
Tony.