[AusNOG] Looks like the NBN will be the TBN!

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Fri Jun 27 19:17:47 EST 2014

On 27/06/2014 6:13 PM, Radek Tkaczyk wrote:

> Apparently areas that are FTTN will have 50Mbps.... But I don't believe it. Trials
> have shown 106Mbps... but that was probably only at the house next door to the node!

According to Alcatel-Lucent stats from international trials (copper gauge not
revealed) (in CommsDay this morning) downstream rates with vectoring had
worst-case-in-bundle downstream rates of ~ 65 Mbps on 500 meters copper.
Looking at the announced areas where this Telstra network will be built, it doesn't
seem like they've cherry-picked areas with short copper runs - so perhaps we'll see
65+ Mbps as well. (in fact, I'm sure we will, even if they have to replace a few
lower-speed lines before the trial stats are released!)

> And then we didn't have to deal with the crappy ADSL CPE issues from end users with
> dodgy devices like we see these days.

You'll probably still need to deal with this - the customer will still need a
router/NAT/WiFi gateway of some sort - if NBN Co supply the VDSL2 CPE, the user will
use a dodgy gateway with an Ethernet WAN port instead of a ADSL WAN port, just like a
HFC connection.

Paul.