[AusNOG] OOB SMS / Voice alerts to mobile phone

Jared Hirst jared.hirst at serversaustralia.com.au
Wed Jun 25 16:36:42 EST 2014

Not sure if this helps, but I recently saw someone using this:
https://www.pagerduty.com/ and they reckon it is the best thing since
sliced bread!

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Rhys Hanrahan <rhys at nexusone.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Shane,
>
> We currently use SMS2Email functionality for this... (for example, SMS
> Global provide this:
> https://www.smsglobal.com/services/?_ga=1.125478410.1469842697.1403677673#emailsms
> )
>
> It's straight forward to setup in Nagios as you're basically just adding
> another contact into the config, with an email address that will send the
> SMS to a given number. You would probably also want to define a custom
> notification command, so that the SMSs are formatted correctly.
>
> As for out of band monitoring, we simply run a Nagios instance outside of
> our network for this... Though I know there are solutions around that could
> allow you to send SMS notifications via cellular access etc... Not sure how
> reliable that would be, though.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rhys Hanrahan
> Chief Information Officer
> Nexus One Pty Ltd
>
> E: support at nexusone.com.au
> P: +61 2 9191 0606
> W: http://www.nexusone.com.au/
> M: PO Box 127, Royal Exchange NSW 1225
> A: Level 10 307 Pitt St, Sydney NSW 2000

Jared HirstManaging Director

Office Address: 2/2 Teamster Close, Tuggerah NSW 2259
Postal Address: PO Box 3187, Tuggerah NSW 2259
Phone: +61 2 8115 8801 | Network Ops: +61 2 8115 8850 | Main Switch: +61 2
8115 8888
Web: www.serversaustralia.com.au
[image: Servers Australia - Logo] <http://serversaustralia.com.au/>How are
we doing?please click here to tell Servers Australia - We‘re listening
<https://docs.google.com/a/serversaustralia.com.au/forms/d/1LN6H3Dc8TCJFmNH7pxVkAfrhP3MosGNAueA8hteFbIY/viewform#start=openform>[image:
Find Us on Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/ServersAustralia> [image:
Follow us on Twitter] <http://twitter.com/serversau> [image: Follow us on
Google] <https://plus.google.com/112681060777876559914>

*Notice:* This message may contain private and confidential information
intended only for the recipients. If you have received this message in
error please delete immediately and notify the sender, as any distribution
or reproduction of this message is prohibited. The views & opinions
expressed in this e-mail are NOT necessarily those of Servers Australia

Please consider the environment before printing this email - every year we
are losing 40 million acres of oxygen producing forests through logging and
land clearing.