[AusNOG] Mixing tech stuff

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Thu Jun 19 14:05:59 EST 2014

> I expect than when the balance shifts we will see power distributors find dramatically cheaper ways of connecting consumers.
>
> We will also see governments forcing people to connect to the grid for "safety reasons".

With the increasing number of people connecting solar and wanting to
DISconnect from "the grid", the cost of infrastructure to the remaining
connected customers will increase, causing more people to disconnect,
driving the infrastructure costs up even more, etc etc.

I fully expect that to combat this, we will see householders and
landowners charged a "service availability" charge for power that goes
past their door whether they're connected or not. This already happens
with garbage collection charges and I think with sewer connection, town
water and possibly other services.

Not sure how I'll feel if they somehow manage to find a way to run a
powerline up here past me (when it was impossible due to "environment
protection" and other access restrictions when we tried). I guess I'll
just buy a lot more PV and become an photon farmer. (Would I qualify as a
primary producer?)

R.