[AusNOG] So are iiNet condoning illegal piracy?

John Lindsay johnslindsay at mac.com
Wed Jun 11 16:59:13 EST 2014

I got the last liberal AG to say that he thought this would be a great use of "retained metadata" during a Joint Parliamentary Committee on Security at which Steve Dalby and I laid out the likely costs to an ISP like iiNet of retaining that data. You can find this in Hansard if you have any interest.

Don't forget kids, metadata is data. It's your click-stream. It's IP addresses, it's URLs, with timestamps.

Why give away all your privacy just because a low value industry from the USA demands it?  Is turning Australia into more of a police state than the USA a price you're willing to pay for ensuring a few movie studios who can't be bothered selling their content to you in Australia can make you wait until they're good and ready?

Why are we so willing to allow this level of surveillance in Australia?

Why are we so willing to pay for it?

It isn't happening the USA.

Copyright is a civil law, not a criminal law.

The only reason the studios are trying to do it is because if you lose a civil legal case you have to pay the defendant's legal bill.

In the USA copyright trolls can sue grandmothers into craters, lose the case and walk away scot free.

Cheers,

John Lindsay