[AusNOG] So are iiNet condoning illegal piracy?

Matthew Costa matthew.costa at greenlight-itc.com
Wed Jun 11 12:06:13 EST 2014

Having that separation of liability of customers from their chosen carriers is a thing we should all strive to protect. Regardless of the circumstances, I wouldn't want to continue to operate public infrastructure if this were not the case. It would be impractical to filter out customers based on the idea that they might pirate (or do any number of other illegal activities) in advance.

As a consequence, the law would depend on a speedy response to complaint. It would be far too easy to link a lack of immediate cooperation with the idea that the carriers are somehow being complicit in carrying out these activities.

I also can't imagine why any ISP would want to kick off a paying customer for simply using their network. The accusations of third party commercial interests by very definition can't be considered evidence enough to warrant that response. To me this sounds like an attempt to move the copyright battle out of the courtroom, and employ the use of corporate bullying to attack consumers directly without intervention or mediation.

Cheers,
Matthew Costa
Infrastructure Manager

Suite 703, Level 7
815 Pacific Highway Chatswood 2067
tel: 02 8412 0000 fax: 02 8412 0001

Greenlight ITC         ABN: 99 117 915 134