[AusNOG] AAPT / TPG Merge NWB

Paul Gear ausnog at libertysys.com.au
Thu Jun 5 19:20:39 EST 2014

On 06/05/2014 07:04 PM, Rod Veith wrote:
> RE: [AusNOG] AAPT / TPG Merge NWB
>
> Quote Paul/"//......//Last mile infrastructure competition would be a
> huge bonus for Australian consumers.//"/
>
> It is the last place competition makes sense.Should wealsohave 4
> providers of railway lines to Sydney? or3driveways into your house?
>
> A national provider, under regulation, makes the most sense for
> Australia. Competition is notright cure for all problems.

I suspect you're right, and I certainly don't expect any provider to be
putting up their hand to compete with Telstra on the last mile (although
one could argue that this is what TPG and Big Air are doing, selectively).

But if there's a place where more "reasonable outcomes to consumers" is
most sorely needed, it's in the last mile.  I don't care whether we get
there through competition or regulation (or a bit of each), but we need
to get there.

Paul