[AusNOG] Transparent Caching For Residential ISPs

Michael Marklew mike at idl.net.au
Wed Jun 4 18:23:55 EST 2014

I used transparent caching for many years, but dropped it some 4 years ago. Back in the day it was giving us 30%+ bandwidth savings, but HTTP was most of our traffic. These days it is a much lower percentage with SSL, VPN's & P2P taking up a big share. The additional support load was a pain too with the odd website just not liking the cache and having to be bypassed.

With the transit being so much cheaper then it once was I can't see the need anymore. Happy to be corrected and might even put one back in if things have changed?

Mikrotik can easily redirect traffic to a proxy & even proxy it itself or use WCCP.

Kind Regards,
Michael.
0249406706