[AusNOG] 10Gb Switching and HP COMOS5 vs 7

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 18:12:01 EST 2014

Depends what you want. :)

I've used ICX 6610 and 6450 switches with 10Gbps ports, but those are
generally used for uplink from access or distribution layers.

There are a number of VDX switches,  including 1RU switches with 48 x
10Gbps ports (6720 and now 6740 models if memory serves. The 6710 models
have 6 x 10Gbps ports if memory serves.

The ICX switches stack (the 6610 and 6650 using dedicated stacking ports),
the VDX switches operate in a fabric (I have found the Brocade fabrics to
be more reliable than stacking from any switching vendor I've used).

As I understand it, no Brocade switch has an over-subscribed backplane. The
VDX kit has large buffers and very low latency between ports.

Brocade also have some other carrier-specific kit as well, I don't have any
direct experience with it though (I know others on this list do though).