[AusNOG] Gosford City Council and NBN RSP.

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jun 1 02:26:15 EST 2014

On Sat, 31 May 2014, Gaurab Raj Upadhaya wrote:

> With the Singapore NBN, a 4-port NTU is installed. I got the 2nd port
> connected for cheap with a 2nd provider, as at that time they offered
> me some additional services (native v6 for one). I can't claim to be a
> general end-user, but from talking to the smaller ISP's tech guys,
> they frequently see consumers signing up for the 2nd port for services
> they offer (like VPN to watch US shows, and dedicated gaming service),
> while keeping the first port with one of the big two, for basic
> service including telephony.

For SMB, a multi-port NTU is equivalent to having multiple copper pairs
coming in, which is the status quo. I know there's quite a few hosted VoIP
providers who only provided service over their own DSL circuits, although
with NBN speeds this is perhaps less of an issue. Many ISPs also sell
private networks provisioned over DSL or metro ethernet these days, how
convenient would it be to have your internet on one port, and your company
WAN go over another?

I've personally experienced a case where a third-party organisation was
hosting an event on our land, and were sponsored by an ISP. Said ISP
wanted to provide free, open wireless for the event. Rather than deal with
our network, they simply provisioned a DSL service for the weekend,
dropped in a router and AP, then decomissioned it the next week. I also
know of a company that runs its guest wireless over an ADSL link rather
than their business fibre.

So yes, I will argue that an FTTP NBN NTU without multiple ports is a step
backwards for SMBs. How much so this is relevant under MTM NBN where the
copper will remain is more of an open question.

James