[AusNOG] Deciding on Juniper vs. Brocade

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu Jul 31 03:27:49 EST 2014

On 30 Jul 2014, at 04:15, Rhys Hanrahan <rhys at nexusone.com.au> wrote:

> I'm looking for people's recommendations that could be given to pick one over the other, as I'm having a tough time deciding. Based on the technical specs, and feature listings of both sets of hardware, I can't find a major technical reason to pick one over the other - they are mostly pretty closely matched for what we need. So I'm more focused on trying to find out what people's experiences are generally, so I can get a "safety in numbers" sort of approach.

We took 5 vendors through to a detailed drill down when we built the 100% fully automated wholesale carrier at www.allegro.net and Juniper had the most complete automation/api, so we went with those guys.  It’s good stuff.  We use netconf over ssh rather than their orchestration abstraction stuff (like Space) but I like it.

Software reliability (we’re nowhere near bleeding edge) is good, hardware reliability is acceptable.

Andy