[AusNOG] China issue

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 21:42:52 EST 2014

On 30 July 2014 21:26, Chris Hurley <chris at minopher.net.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This maybe a Chinese firewall/DSN issue but hoping someone has come across
> it or a work around.
>
> We have a client that has purchased several .cn  domains but wants to run
> the mail server locally in Aus. As far as I can tell if your not in China
> you can send email to the domain and they can send out. But the local rep
> in China claims Chinese domains can't see or find the domain. Throwing up a
> name server error – not found.
>
> I.e standoutgroup.com.cn is set up on a Aus machine, most of the world
> can send/receive emails to the domain/end user, but any email originating
> in China returns a DNS error.
>
> Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated either on or off list.

Hi Chris,

It's very common for the Chinese Government's "Internet Interruption
Service" to block DNS responses for services which the Chinese government
has decided on a given day it doesn't like.

I've got a number of users in China who try to use a VPN connection in
Sydney, and they more often than occasionally have issues resolving the DNS
for the Sydney VPN gateway (and the US one for that matter, we have one
there too).  Our EMEA VPN gateway DNS entry gets blocked less often, but
that still happens occasionally too.

We had similar issues for a while when we ran email out of Sydney as well.
 It got better when email got moved to Europe.  I'm a little surprised we
haven't seen issues now we've migrated email to Office 365.  I suppose it's
only a matter of time, given the way the Chinese Government seems to really
love Microsoft lately...

Regards,

Robert