[AusNOG] Large Latency Spikes Normal on Australian VPS? Affecting VoIP

Matthew Stapleton matthew at capsicumcorp.com
Tue Jul 29 13:34:02 EST 2014

This might not be the right forum for this question, but I figured I'd
ask as it is related to networking.  The company I work for currently
has Australian Xen based VPS servers each with two different hosting
providers as well as Xen based Linux VPS servers with two other
providers that host in USA and Europe and an Amazon US VPS.  If I run
"ping -i 0.05 -c 5000 <gatewayip/or 8.8.8.8>" to simulate a VoIP call on
the AU servers I get quite a few short periods of latency spikes that
are over 300ms.  On the USA and Europe VPS servers, max latency doesn't
seem to vary by more than 100ms.  Does anyone else get these latency
spikes on Australian virtual servers?

Thanks for any help in advance.

--
Matthew Stapleton