[AusNOG] 1Tb/s native ipv6 traffic on comcast

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Mon Jul 28 11:14:02 EST 2014

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 5:57 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> Some DOCSIS 2 modems support IPv6.  All DOCSIS 3 modems support
> IPv6 on the management interface.  Not all DOCSIS 3 modems support
> IPv6 on the customer side.  You can't just say "go buy a DOCSIS 3
> modem", you have to say "buy a DOCSIS 3 modem from this set of
> modems we support for IPv6".

Specifically for Comcast, the majority of their customers rent their modem
from Comcast, so they have the benefit of being able to control that to
some extent.  I fairly sure I remember reading somewhere that all of the
DOCSIS 3 modems they provide support IPv6.  In many areas (eg, the SF Bay
area where I live) 100% of their rented modems are DOCSIS 3, and they are
even phasing out DOCSIS 2 for non-rented modems.

For people buying their own, the majority of the modems they support also
do IPv6, but as you say it's not all of them - based on
http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/, about 3/4 of their supported modems do
support it.

  Scott