[AusNOG] 1Tb/s native ipv6 traffic on comcast

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Sat Jul 26 01:55:38 EST 2014

On 2014-07-25 17:26, Joshua D'Alton wrote:
> sixxs is a gateway though, as in over ipv4,

Note there are two things:
 - SixXS tunnels, which I meant in the traffic stats
 - IPv6Gate, for which we do not count traffic and which is actually
quite significant.

> global traffic, whereas this
> comcast traffic is at most 2 hops, probably mostly 1 hop away from
> comcast core/control. not meaning to diminish the achievement, just that
> because Comcast control the CPE (their 30 mil subs), AND the
> host/networks that supply that 1Tbit, its perhaps not so much of the
> removal of "chicken and egg" the articles posited. still, with 10
> million comcast subs using ipv6, that does perhaps open up the egg and
> let other chickens around the world offer services to comcast users at
> dirt cheap prices (he.net <http://he.net> v6 being basically free).

I am pretty sure that even though HE gives away 'transit' and normal
tunnels, they will ask you nicely to change to a pay service the moment
you do anything significant traffic wise. As various notes about latency
and packet loss on various lists have already shown, their business
model does not keep up for much longer now that IPv6 traffic is getting
more significant. Only time will tell how they are going to handle
that... having a single Gbit link between two locations does not make
one a global Tier-1 transit provider, even how hard one thinks one
thinks one can be one. Think of Cogent in that same sentence ;)

Also note that endusers at Comcast really do not need any of those
services; hence left their hosting services, which are all pay, not free
in any way...

Greets,
 Jeroen