[AusNOG] Netflix in AU, break up Go4, or TPG peering breakup?

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Thu Jul 24 09:34:05 EST 2014

On 23/07/2014 11:01 PM, Paul Jones wrote:

> So overall I would argue that the market for fixed line connections hasn't ever gone
> backwards, and is never likely to until such times as we can replace "a box" in the
> garage/study with a different box that happens to have a sim card and antenna, and
> have our customers not really notice the difference, either in QOS, $$$, or GB.
>

> Wireless is an entirely new and predominantly different market, but it unfortunately
> gets classified in the same category as fixed line. Same with M2M, where a
> gargantuan quota is 300 MB.

Indeed.  The ABS stats separate out mobile handsets with data capability from the
'wireless broadband' category, which includes data-only SIM devices, USB sticks etc.

"c) Wireless includes satellite, fixed wireless, mobile wireless via a datacard,
dongle, USB modem or tablet SIM card and other wireless broadband. Excludes data
downloaded via mobile handsets which is reported in the mobile handset chapter. "

So the ABS mobile wireless category includes all the SIM-enabled iPads and probably
SIM-enabled Kindles, which can hardly be described as fixed-line replacements at all.
By including these in the table along with DSL, cable, satellite and other 'one per
structure' technologies hopelessly distorts the usefulness of the statistics and
leaves them wide open for abuse of interpretation.

For all the 'wireless broadband' devices, data use equates to 6 GB per *quarter* to
Dec2013, or 2 GB/month.

Digging deeper, we
find....http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/8153.0Chapter8December%202013
"For the 20.3 million mobile handset subscribers, this equates to 0.5 GB of data
downloaded per subscriber per month."

An average of 2GB/month for data-only devices, and 0.5 GB/month for phone handsets,
indicates to me that these are NOT being primarily used as a replacement for
fixed-line residential broadband services - and probably aren't going to be used for
enabling all the devices in a home to stream Netflix through (to drag this back on topic).

Also - the number of 'mobile wireless' services  *decreased* in the latest half-year
stats, as did fixed wireless and satellite, to the tune of 113,000,   while the number
of real fixed-line services increased 163,000. You could interpret this as fixed
replacing wireless rather than vice versa (I wouldn't).
The number of fixed-line services has never gone backwards - it has slowed as we
approached saturation.

All of which goes to point out that anyone who cites the ABS figures as showing "half
of all Internet connections in Australia are wireless.", or predicting the death of
fixed-line, could read a little deeper.

Paul.