[AusNOG] Netflix in AU, break up Go4, or TPG peering breakup?

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 21:37:18 EST 2014

On 23 July 2014 20:57, Mark ZZZ Smith <markzzzsmith at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> I still think it is significant that around half of all Internet
> connections in Australia are wireless.

The only thing surprising about that is that the figure you've quoted isn't
higher.  That said, I find that particular statistic to be pretty useless -
and here's why.

In my household, I have three wireless broadband connections (two mobile
phones with data plans, plus a pre-paid 4G WiFi AP) and a single wired
connection.  And I don't have children who have their own mobile phones or
devices - that number could easily climb to six or more wireless
connections without any significant effort - and that's without having
extended family in the house - and it's becoming more and more common to
have more than two generations in a household.

Wireless is brilliant for certain things.  Consuming large amounts of data
is not one of those things (at least not in this market, I acknowledge that
the bottleneck in Australia isn't the capability of the technology).

The consumption of content over wireless in this country is still very
small.  It's possible to get a ridiculously large quota (I get 150GB a
month if memory serves, I honestly don't even think about quota on my ADSL
service any more, but I know I'm WAY below the maximum quota available on
basic consumer ADSL services) on wired for less than I pay for 1.5GB a
month on Telsta 4G (on which I can't even download a single DVD ISO without
paying stupidly obscene excess data charges - assuming it works at all when
I'm on the move, given even the best 4G network in the country still has
black spots and massive congestion issues at times).

Back to my first line - what is more interesting than the number of raw
wired and wireless connections is the volume of data consumed on wired vs
wireless connections - wireless connections have been relatively static for
years in terms of how much data is downloaded per month (and have actually
gone backwards slightly over the last two years), whereas the amount of
data consumed by wired connections seems to double every couple of years
(if even that long) - and I bet if you found information on the data
produced from wireless and wired connections, it'd be even more glaringly
obviously biased in favour of wired).