[AusNOG] Netflix in AU, break up Go4, or TPG peering breakup?

Jacob Gardiner jacob at jacobgardiner.com
Tue Jul 22 10:44:41 EST 2014

… 4G services are sometimes far faster than ADSL2+ so why not but one of those instead?
I’ve run speedtests over 4G and dominated the connection speed of my ADSL sync, that’s no secret. The problem is that we’re missing a balance, a balance of speed and affordability which we probably won’t see come true in the next decade(s).

Surely you’re not suggesting fibre be subsidised to the point where it turns up at DSL prices?

If you agree that 4G offers plenty enough speed at the moment then why not also suggest that the Government buy Telstra’s 4G network & then make a subsidised service available to you right way, so we can all sit at home endlessly watching NetFlix pics?
As previously mentioned - the horse has bolted. It’s bolted because there’s no big demand for high speed, affordable internet access. I’m not a fan of our glorious leaders, but Turnbull wasn’t exactly incorrect saying that 12Mbps is enough for anybody. The fact is that High Def, VOD services are of low impact in Australia. VOD is just one pivot of potential too.

So to re-iterate yet again. I’m not saying we should be subsidising a business, we should be facilitating them in the interest of open market and servicing our consumers.