[AusNOG] Netflix in AU, break up Go4, or TPG peering breakup?

Jake Anderson yahoo at vapourforge.com
Tue Jul 22 10:21:30 EST 2014

People also seem to see the government "swooping in" to promote or
punish some particular thing that is close to their heart.

People (and the government sadly) need to understand its the job of the
government to get the best outcomes for its people, IE the government
should work to improve the long term "happiness" of its population.
Note that there are specific measures of happiness and free beer doesn't
actually contribute much to that, it is also explicitly "long term" so
bankrupting all the ISP's is also not going to work.

As "the internet" is now such a vital part of everyone’s daily lives the
government is going to start getting more involved, much as its involved
in the delivery of roads, water, power its just a thing that will happen.
On the plus side the history of ISP's is much more like that of air
travel (with the benefit of using the legacy telco for last mile
infrastructure) so I see the evolution of regulation travelling along
those paths.

So in short, if your business practise is harming the utility of "the
internet" to millions of people the government *must* step in, otherwise
its failing as a government.

IE if it would be better for 10's of millions of people for the
government to mandate peering at the expense of the profits of a few,
then that is an action they must take, they should also compensate those
few in some form.