[AusNOG] Netflix in AU, break up Go4, or TPG peering breakup?

Paul Wallace paul.wallace at mtgi.com.au
Mon Jul 21 16:19:28 EST 2014

The former Gov could have broken Telstra up in the way that many other countries did.

But they did not, instead embarking on policy counter to the spirit of that embarked upon by the same side of politics 25 odd years earlier under Hawke/ Keating.

Maybe breaking Telstra up isn't a 100% fix however it's far more logical than the path they embarked upon & vastly quicker to bring some respite.

If they had done so they would have retained choices vis a vis the changing technologies & landscape.

Obviously retaining all the pits/ pipes/ copper in such an acquisition would have neutralised the profoundly politicised arguments that followed pitting fibre against copper.

It would also have enabled the visionaries to dream up any number of variations of copper/ fibre alongside residential/ business v migrate or add, price differentials etc. The continuing rollout could have been tweaked and changed in many ways to fit into a rapidly changing telecoms future; but they instead set the fuse on their 'one size fits all' neutron bomb policy & now hide behind the prejudicial legal protection enjoyed by politicians & the judiciary when they're shown to be negligent.

If they had enacted & then acquired a separated 'Telstra Infrastructure Company ' to do whatever they wished in the future they would not then need to run back to Telstra + the ACCC to negotiate a new arrangement every time they change course (as we're seeing the current Gov being required to do).

e.g

they could have acquired the wholesale business from Telstra  business back, & then sell it a consortium of industry players, thus creating some 'neutrality', and/ or

or just kept it & then rolled FTTN as staging point to get to FTTP and or FTTB, and/ or

provided a truthful roadmap to us all after having enjoyed the radically 'de-politicising process' policy suggested above, when compared to the policy they did embark on

But they did not, instead taking the most naïve course possible.

Now look at the mess ... it's just getting worse. No-body seems happy about the thing now.

Maybe not too late though! (and if they did the CAN might gain a great deal more love than it's seeing today).

-P