[AusNOG] Netflix in AU, break up Go4, or TPG peering breakup?

Bevan Slattery bevan at slattery.net.au
Mon Jul 21 15:26:28 EST 2014

Yes.  Yahoo, Google, Akamai, Limelight, Facebook, Microsoft will all tell
you that the cost of domestic transit in Australia is high when compared to
most other developed countries in the world.  So when users
(consumers/voters) want to watch movies on demand they find themselves
restricted due to copyright/studio monopolies establishing a different set
of licensing arrangements which are burdensome and costly and of course
geo-restricting and then a peering arrangement which has not changed since
the late 90's which inhibits new entrants from firstly investing in domestic
infrastructure and then secondly creating exciting and disruptive services.

It is more expensive to connect to your domestic instance of Amazon than
your US instanceŠ considerably.  The same will probably happen with Azure,
Google Compute.  All because of domestic transit costs.  I'm not blaming
those in the club ­ all the power to them.  Drink away.  But this dance has
been going on for 15 years and some how "OzEmail" are still in the GoF
despite being a trickle in terms of traffic.  The regulators have created an
entrenched club and failed to look at what opportunities we have lost.

What if a Nextgen or Vocus were included in a peering arrangement (and the
terms of which are supposed to be published on the websites of the GoF as
part of the determination)?  We would have a really interesting player to
deliver a national domestic product to the networks that would change the
commercial paradigm significantly.  But alas we are geo-excluded
(copyright), commercially challenge (GoF) and soon to be further legally
corn-holed from accessing off-shore content (Copyright Treaty).

If you can't see much wrong with that picture then you may have spent too
long sniffing the packets :)

[b]